The ASCEL annual members’ conference is the only conference aimed specifically at Heads of Children’s and School Library Services. Each year the conference focuses on a key theme relating to contemporary library services for children and young people presenting expert speakers; interactive workshops; updates from partners across the sector; publishers’ exhibitions; and a lively forum for discussion, debate and creativity.
Recent ASCEL conference themes have included:
- Reaching out: Libraries- enablers of active communities (2016)
- Life Changing Libraries - libraries supporting health, well-being & inclusion of children & young people (2015)
- Libraries, reading, culture, creativity - exploring reading as a cultural activity and libraries as an integral part of the cultural landscape (2014)
- Libraries as core building blocks in the development of children’s communication skills (2013)
- Promising futures: shaping library services for children and young people (2012)
- From scorched earth to new landscapes: developing children’s and school library services in an era of austerity (2011)
Read this report from Emma Ali from Bolton of her experiences at her first ASCEL Conference, November 2014. Emma said: "I can honestly say this conference is the most valuable thing I have ever done in my professional life - the thing I have learned will have a direct impact on the children and young people I work with."
The theme for ASCEL conference 2016 was 'Reaching out: Libraries- enablers of active communities"
- Take Over Challenge - Ollie Berman, Director of Communications & External Events, Offfice of the Children's Commissioner
- Love to Read campaign - Helen Foukes, Creative Director BBC Learning
- The Arts Council working together with libraries - Darren Henley, CEO Arts Council England
- Life after Local Authorities - Terry Parkin, formerly London Borough of Tower Hamlets
- Working together with librarians - Chris Riddell, Children's Laureate
ASCEL Members can login to download presentations from the conference.
If you have any queries about the ASCEL Conference please contact our Conference Manager Annie Everall.