ASCEL membership is open to up to three senior managers in each local authority. The ASCEL members in an authority are usually the Head of Services for Children and Young People and the Head of the Schools Library Service. Where this post is combined an authority may have up to three members: the person with strategic responsibility for services for children and young people, the person directly responsible for children’s and young people’s public library provision and the person managing the schools’ library service.
For an annual subscription of £75 per member, there are a range of benefits for both you and your authority:
- Access to a national network of professional colleagues
- A tailored current awareness service on reports, research and policy developments
- Help and support through an e-group exclusive to ASCEL members
- Access to the members’ only section of the ASCEL website
- Opportunities and support for professional development
- Participation in a number of national initiatives that are channelled through ASCEL members
- A chance to engage with current developments and to shape the future of library and education services for children and young people
- Opportunity to meet other ASCEL members at regional meetings.